Good morning friends 🙂
Recently I’ve been a little in love with Acai Bowls, and by, “in love” I mean OBSESSED.
They’re the perfect pick-me-up breakfast and amazing when I’m craving something sweet at night for dessert.
For those of you who don’t know, Acai Bowls are sort of like a vegan ice cream. Another good way to think of them is as a reverse smoothie bowl. They’re called Acai Bowls because the main ingredient is the acai berry, which is a berry that grows on the acai palm in Brazil.
Acai berries have more natural antioxidants than literally any other fruit in the world. They’re an amazing source of fiber, they help to clear skin and keep it glowing, they aide in digestion, have anti-aging benefits and can also boost your immune system. Wow.
Apparently this berry is also credited with helping blood circulation, which has been linked to an increase in sex drive. So literally, you can call this fruit sexy (I’m done).
And of course, the reason I love acai berries is because they taste like blueberries and strawberries drank too much wine and got freaky together, resulting in a perfect hybrid berry baby of deliciousness. Yeah, it tastes that good.
So lets make this sexy fruit ice cream!
What you’ll need:
- 1 Acai packet or 1 Small Bolthouse Farm’s Acai Juice Blend
- Fresh Fruit of Your Choice
- Toppings (I used granola and organic coconut flakes)
- 1 Cup Frozen Mangos
- 1 Cup Frozen Berries
- Half of a Lemon
- Pick out your favorite fruit and cut it up for the bowl! The key to an amazing Acai Bowl is having amazing fruit to top it with. I used fresh mangos, green apples, ripe bananas, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and fresh squeezed lemon for my fruit toppings. Once these are cut put them aside for later.
- Next you’ll want to combine your frozen ingredients in a blender. Acai packets are ideal, but if you’re like me and live where stores don’t carry them, just do what I did and freeze some acai juice in some ice cube trays.
- Add a splash of coconut or almond milk and lemon juice to the mixture and begin blending this. You’ll have to stir this every few seconds because there isn’t a lot of liquid in this mixture, which will make blending pretty difficult. Feel free to add more milk if you need to, but keep it at a minimum or the texture won’t seem like ice cream.
- Once the mixture is blended add this to a bowl and start topping it with your precut fruit and other toppings. You can use basically whatever you want for your bowl. I love the crunch of organic coconut flakes and homemade granola, but really just use what you like.
When you’re finished you can either make a giant acai bowl for a filling lunch or breakfast, or you can put the mixture into little bowls for a dessert!
That’s all for now, friends!
With so much love,